Sunday, March 4, 2012

62-63/366

Day 62

The days of the past week or so have really just turned into a blur. Trying to distinguish what happened on one day or another is becoming more difficult. Friday though I didn't step foot on base, which was nice. Keighan had his 9 month well check (still my gentle giant, off the chart in height and 50% in weight). Landon had a program at school to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday. I was just able to do my work from home and most of it in the evening.

This is Landon performing at school.
They sang some songs, dressed all crazy, and had a great time!


Day 63

March 3rd...happy birthday to me! Certainly didn't feel like a birthday for much of the day! The boys had their soccer jamboree in the morning, which we froze at! As soon as we got home I went out again to buy supplies to make at least 3,000 ribbons for people to pin on at the 6535 memorial service. Shortly after I got to my first stop (around 10:45am), I got a call from the CO's wife. Next thing I know she was there too and we were running all over town for supplies and picked up another Coast Guard wife to bring along too. Went back to their house where we were joined by another and around 5pm sat down to begin cutting these ribbons. The plan is to assemble them all on Sunday with a large group of spouses on base. By the time we were finishing buying the supplies we began to get a little slap happy. Add in cutting loads of orange and blue ribbons with the good company we had....wow, I haven't laughed so much in a long time! At one point I got a call from someone about the flowers for the service and he wanted to know how much wine we had drank, um...not a drop of alcohol was consumed! If you put all the ribbon we cut end to end, it was enough to be the length of five football fields! We cut them into 6" strips. Oy, it was an undertaking and I'm glad I had help! As we were beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel (around 9pm), Capt Maine came home. He then left again and brought us all back some dinner. Little did I know he and his daughter had also picked up something else while they were out. After we finished the cutting we ate, then as I was packing up my things to head home they walked out with a cookie cake on fire with all the candles. So while I wasn't able to spend the day with my family, I spent it with a great part of my extended family...my Coast Guard family. 
There is another pic out there with the candles lit and me standing behind it.
I haven't seen it yet...not sure if I'm brave enough to look at it,
I know I was looking pretty rough at that point!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome that you at least got to enjoy some cake even though you were really busy. I hope that you had a happy birthday. And the work you are doing is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete